Embrace the History of Excursion Trains at the Whippany Railway Museum
A New Jersey mainstay since 1965, the Whippany Railway Museum explores the past through historic railway and train exhibits.
NJ train museums like this one are a must-visit if you enjoy learning about the exciting history of passenger trains in the United States.
Learn About Whippany Railway Museum Events, History, and Happenings
Train Museums in New Jersey: The Whippany’s History
Whippany’s railway ties all point back to the Morris County Central Railroad, a railway dedicated to steam-powered “excursion trains” for transporting tourists. It was the first of its kind in the state.
The museum opened alongside the railway in 1965 as a way to boost the experience for travelers interested in railroad history.
For fifty years, the Whippany Railway Museum has persevered, led by volunteers.
Museum Exhibits and Upcoming Events
Among the exhibits at the museum, you’ll find:
- Historic railway equipment with New Jersey ties, including coach loaders, vintage cabooses, and station buildings
- Photographs, displays, and cool models within the museum’s doors
Upcoming events in 2018 include annual favorites:
- Excursion Train rides in the spring and fall
- The Easter Bunny Express around Easter
- The Pumpkin Festival in September/October
Tickets for all events go on sale in mid-January.
This museum makes a great day trip when staying with us at our hotel.